This is another recipe that is shared by my neighbor THE KRAZY CAKE LADY.
They look and taste delicious. However, I had some failures on this first attempt so I will share what I learned and share her pic:
- DO NOT over fill the cupcake tins. It is better to under fill than overfill.
- WATCH THE BAKING TIME CAREFULLY. The box of mix I used said to bake 12-20 minutes. That is a very broad range. My first batch over baked at 16 minutes (I split the difference), so I had to adjust down.
- If you are piping the cream with a star tip… CHOP THE RASPBERRIES VERY FINE. I was constantly picking out raspberries that were plugging the tip. I ended up removing the tip and piping from the bag without it.
- DOUBLE THE CREAM (at least) I am sure you will love it as much as I do. I threw out 1/3 of the cakes (burnt) and I still ran out.
Angel Food Cupcakes
- 1 box angel food mix
- Follow all direction on box but add zest of one large lemon, and replace 2 tbs. water for 2 tbs fresh lemon juice.
Line cupcake tin with liners and bake according to package directions.
Raspberry lemon whipped cream
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white corn syrup
(this helps cream hold it's shape for decorating)
- fresh raspberries roughly chopped
In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Beat in vanilla, sugar, lemon juice and corn syrup until peaks form. Make sure not to over-beat, cream will then become lumpy and butter-like. hint: if cream is over beaten you can add a dash of unbeaten cream to smooth it out. Once cream is whipped add 1 cup chopped raspberries to cream and mix in by hand.
Use a large star tip or round tip and drop into a decorators bag fitted with a coupler. Or just drop a tip into a slightly trimmed large ziplock bag. Or just use a bag with not tip. Starting outside in make a coil shape with cream on top of cupcake. Top with 1 raspberry.