Homemade Ketchup

Today is Sunday. It is my turn to cook for the family (extended included).  I am grilling hamburgers in spite of the weather (thanks Evan!). As I was filling dispensers with condiments, I realized I was out of Ketchup. Being a fan of the 10 commandments, panic ensued.

I quickly googled and found this recipe and though I would give it a whirl.  I had all of the ingredients on hand, so why not. When I first blended the ingredients together and gave it a quick taste, the cinnamon and cloves were quite noticeable. I am a picky eater and a die hard Heinz® Ketchup fan, so I was a little nervous about serving it but reminded myself to give the flavors some time.

  • 1 small can tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon cloves
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar**

Mix together, cover and refrigerate (for at least two hours to allow the flavors to blend). Remember that when you make things from scratch, they don't have as many preservatives (good and bad). You are going to have to use it up in a month or so.

** I didn’t have any cider vinegar on hand, so I used white wine vinegar.
POST EDIT REVIEW: The cinnamon and cloves were still a distinct flavor that I did not like in the end. Will attempt to make ketchup again, but not with this recipe. I will try the one posted below.

Version 2

I have since found this recipe, and I like the recommended spices for this one. I will most definitely try this one next time. I predict it will be closer to what I expect from a ketchup and I will opt out of the the cinnamon and cloves for sure.

  • 1 small can tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • pinch cinnamon (optional)
  • pinch ground cloves (optional)
  • pinch cumin (optional)

Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl. You may adjust spices to your taste. (Some prefer a "spicier" ketchup.) If the mixture is too thick, add more water until the ketchup reaches the consistency you prefer. Cover and refrigerate. Since this ketchup doesn't have preservatives, it should be used up within a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment