Boston Cream Pie

This is really not a pie. It’s a cake with a vanilla cream filling and a chocolate glaze icing. Very delicious and a favorite of many in the family and extended. (This is for you, Eric.)

It is speculated that it is called a pie because colonists baked their cakes in pie tins as they did not own cake pans.

I love to cook and bake. I wish I had all day to spend in the kitchen. Someday, when I do, I will look for a recipe for this dessert to make from scratch. But, this one is quite good and I just might stick with it . . . It is made from a cake mix and boxed pudding, items I usually have on hand, so I can make this whenever the mood hits. (Makes 2 pies)

Boston Cream Pie_0166

  • 1 package yellow cake mix
  • 1 tsp lemon extract
  • 2 packages (3.4oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 4 Cups cold milk
  • 3 squares (1oz) semi-sweet chocolate
  • 3 Tbsp butter or margarine
  • 1 1/2 Cups powdered sugar
  • 6-8 tsp hot water

Mix cake according to directions, adding lemon extract to batter. Pour into two greased and floured 9" round cake pan. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean. Meanwhile, beat the pudding mix and milk according to directions; chill. Cool cake in pan for 10 min. before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. In a saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate and butter. Stir in sugar until crumbly. Stir in hot water, 1 tsp at a time, until smooth. Split cakes in half. (**See how I split my cakes HERE) Spread 1/2 pudding on bottom layer of each cake. Place second layer over pudding. Pour  1/2 chocolate glaze over each top, letting in drizzle down the sides. Chill.

1 comment:

  1. A secret for a more moist box-mix cake...

    One package of cook-and-serve pudding. I've added a butterscotch pudding mix to a chocolate cake, it was wonderful! Vanilla is a good addition for any cake flavor.

    Instant pudding doesn't act quite the same as a cook and serve mix. The pudding begins to set in the cake batter, making the batter a thicker consistency and less easy to pour out of the mixing bowl into the cake pans.

    This trick works for cornbread as well.

    ReplyDelete