Apple Strudel

Every year at Christmas time, one of my friends delivers hot Apple Strudel at my door. We look forward to this every year!

I have craved this delectable treat of and on throughout the year and though I should get the recipe. I stumbled across this one and thought I would give it a try… the photo resembles our annual gift to a tee. (The original recipe is HERE)

  • 1/2 of a 17.3-ounce package Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry Sheets (1 sheet), thawed
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons raisins
  • Confectioners' sugar (optional)

Heat the oven to 375°F. Beat the egg and water in a small bowl with a fork or whisk. Stir the sugar, flour and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add the apples and raisins and toss to coat.

Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 16 x 12-inch rectangle. With the short side facing you, spoon the apple mixture onto the bottom half of the pastry sheet to within 1 inch of the edge.  Roll up like a jelly roll.  Place seam-side down onto a baking sheet.  Tuck the ends under to seal.  Brush the pastry with the egg mixture. Cut several slits in the top of the pastry.

Bake for 35 minutes or until the strudel is golden brown. Let the strudel cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the confectioners' sugar, if desired.

Tip: Make sure to toss the apples and raisins until they're evenly coated with the flour mixture. The flour helps to thicken the juices released by the apples as they cook.

I definitely need to work on my presentation of this dessert. This photo comes from the original post. It tasted great… but not sure if it is up to par with the annual gift (it's been 8 months since my last taste). I will have to wait until December to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment