Chicken, Rice and Back Bean Casserole

(This is a re-post from my personal blog: www.herodiaries.com. It is what we are having for dinner tonight.)

I love it when I successfully merge a recipe with my own ideas or personal preferences and create an instant HIT! I don’t attempt this very often and I think I have failed more than I have triumphed. Tonight was an exception to that rule. The best part is, I was able to rid my fridge of leftovers that my family refuses to eat. (I  have quickly learned the best way to get rid of leftovers in my household is to recycle them.)

(The amount of these ingredients may vary and will not alter the recipe. This is my best estimate as to how much I used tonight.)

layered black bean casserole 0709

  • 2  cups of cooked chicken cut into bite sized pieces. ( I used leftover grilled chicken breasts)
  • 1/2  tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 to 1 Tbsp cilantro (I usually have dried cilantro in my spice rack, but fresh is always better!) Use more or less depending on your preference.
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed.
  • 2 - 3 cups cooked rice (I flavored mine with cilantro and lime juice)
  • 2 cups shredded cheese (I used Colby Jack)
  • 1 (10 oz) can Red Enchilada Sauce
  • 8-10 corn tortillas

Heat oven to 375. Place chicken, spices, cilantro, drained beans, and cooked rice in a bowl and mix together.  Pour 1/2 of the enchilada sauce in a 9x13 pan. Top with half of the tortillas. (They will overlap.) Put 1/2 of chicken mixture over tortillas and top that with 1/2 of the cheese. Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over this layer, top with remaining tortillas followed by the chicken mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and top with remaining cheese and bake another 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve with sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment