Blackberry Pie

It was my sister in-laws birthday this week. She spent her day with her husband and 300+ teenagers in the wilderness.  Each month, Tamra and I take a Sunday and cook a family dinner for all. Today was my turn and I wanted to make sure she enjoyed a birthday treat that did not require wood, matches or dirt.

A little bird reminded me (thanks Eric) that her favorite dessert was berry pie, ANY berry pie. I told him it was taken care of! I hit up my favorite recipe site and found the perfect pie. Quick, easy, and YUMMY! Tamra had left me with some of the blackberries  she has recently picked and I supplemented it will more berries from the Provo Farmers Market. The results were ideal!

Blackberry Pie collage

  • 4 cups fresh blackberries
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie   (my favorite recipe comes from Pillsbury)
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  1. Combine 3 1/2 cups berries with the sugar and flour. Spoon the mixture into an unbaked pie shell. Spread the remaining 1/2 cup berries on top of the sweetened berries, and cover with the top crust. Seal and crimp the edges. Brush the top crust with milk, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar.
  2. Bake at 425 degree F (220 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature of the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes.

I added the sugar and flour together through a sifter to keep it from getting lumpy. It worked perfectly. My oven required the full  25 minutes at 375  and probably could have gone a little longer so I think I will give it 5 more next time. (Berry Pies usually require about 45 minutes.)


(Original recipe can be found here.)

2 comments:

  1. I don't normally like blackberries just plain, but they sure do make delicatable treats! I'll have to try this sometime. I came across a yummy blackberry syrup that is heavenly! I think I found it on the picky palate blog, you should check it out. IT IS TO DIE FOR!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you make this pie... don't forget the ice cream.

    ReplyDelete