Quick and Easy Pizza Crust

My neighbor “Krazycakelady” shared a recipe for this pizza crust on her blog. (Her source: Gourmet Magazine.) I had to try it!!

The hardest part, deciding what to top it with. I had all sorts of leftovers in the fridge. I opted for BBQ chicken since a had a some chicken left over from Sunday night and over a pint of BBQ sauce. Other toppings: black beans, corn and green onions. I divided the dough in half and made two smaller pizzas, the second pizza was a traditional pepperoni (for the pickier eaters).


Here is the recipe she posted:

  • 2 to 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1/4-ounce package fast acting yeast
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl whisk together 3/4 cup of flour, yeast, sugar, and 2/3 cup hot water (130 degrees F). Stir in the oil, 1 1/4 cups of the remaining flour, and the salt and blend the mixture until it forms a dough. Knead the dough on a floured surface, incorporating as much of the remaining 1/4 cup flour as necessary to prevent the dough from sticking, for 5 to 10 minutes, or until it is smooth and elastic.

The dough may be used immediately, but for better flavor it is best to let it rise once. Put the dough in an oiled bowl and turn it to coat it with the oil. Let the dough rise, covered with plastic wrap, in a warm place for 30 minutes, or until it is double in bulk, and punch it down.

Bake 10-15 min at 425. Or grill it same temp same time!

*NOTE* I opted for a bread machine method (dough setting...love being able to knead the dough from the couch) and baked on a pizza stone.

The results were YUMMY! I finally found my pizza dough of choice. (Thanks Summer!) I love the fact that if I am short on time, I do not have to wait for a raising.

No comments:

Post a Comment