Blackberry Buttermilk Syrup

My sister-in-law commented on my Blackberry Pie post. She is not a fan of blackberries, but she has an open mind. In fact, she suggested I try this recipe. (Original recipe can be found here.) I figured if  and anti-blackberry-ite recommends it… I have nothing to loose.

We served this wonderful syrup over french toast this morning. It was an instant hint. Take heed: no need to use butter. There is plenty in the syrup!

Blackberry Buttermilk Syrup_0067Blackberry Buttermilk Syrup_0073

  • 10 fresh blackberries
  • Tablespoon sugar
  • 1 stick butter
  • 3/4 Cup sugar
  • 1/2 Cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Place blackberries and sugar into a small saucepan over medium low heat. Stir occasionally for about 10 minutes. Pour into a sieve placed over a small bowl pressing on berries to extract the rest of the liquid. Set aside; discard smashed berries and seeds.

2. Place butter, sugar and buttermilk into a separate small saucepan over medium heat. Stir and melt until mixture comes to a low boil. Remove from heat and add in baking soda and vanilla. Mixture will foam. Mix in blackberry liquid then pour syrup into a serving dish. Cover to keep warm while preparing waffle pancakes.


** I have substituted raspberries for the blackberries. Still Yummy. I am sure any berry substitution would work. If you try something different, please let me know how it turns out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment