Snickerdoodles

Many years ago my mother gave me a cookbook she so often used as I was growing up: The first edition of the Betty Crocker’s Cooky Book (1963). This book is older than I am, but full of wonderful cookie recipes that were enjoyed by my bother and me as we were growing up.

One favorite, and now a favorite of my oldest daughter is this recipe for Snickerdoodles:

  • 1 cup shortening (part butter or margarine)
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 3/4  cups flour
  • 2 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1 tsp soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon

Heat oven to 400°. Mix shortening, 1-1/2 cups sugar and eggs thoroughly. Measure flour by dipping method or by sifting. Blend flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt; stir into creamed mixture. Shape dough into 1” balls. Roll in mixture of 2 tbsp sugar and cinnamon. Place 2” apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes.

These cookies puff up at first, then flatten out.

I just made these again and sent them off with my daughter for her road trip. My only mistake… not keeping a few here for the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment